Color and shadow
December 4, 2015
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. designboom profiles the new parti–color Nova Pavilion at the foot of New York City’s Flatiron Building. Its varied frames and angles offer numerous and nuanced glimpses of the surrounding city.
2. Fast Company advises New Yorkers to prepare for imminent darkness, responding to the National Geographic’s recent illustration of New York’s 2020 skyline featuring a whopping 34 new skyscrapers.
3. Local experts spoke to The Boston Globe about preparing the city for superstorms and other issues related to climate change.
4. ArchDaily features TIME‘s 25 Inventions of the Year, highlighting six innovative projects and products with the potential to influence the way architects and engineers work.
5. As the COP21 international climate change conference continues in Paris, Boston’s National Public Radio affiliate WBUR interviewed Arup’s Brian Swett about cities’ role in addressing climate change.
This is post 15 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015