Creative and crooked
April 22, 2016
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. Nigel Sussman offers his artistic interpretation of our San Francisco office’s 30-year legacy with a time-lapse video of his project-based mural coming to life.
2. Atlas Obscura discards the idea of symmetrical beauty, arguing that crookedness has more to say about fortitude and enduring architecture.
3. Building Design + Construction Magazine highlights the capabilities and deficiencies of virtual reality technologies, as well as the companies who are using them for unique design projects.
4. Science of Us delves into the psychology of “meh” as recent studies show that boring architecture, contrary to what one might think, actually generates more feelings of stress than hectic, varied building design.
5. Arup’s Janine Witko writes in Facility Executive about how recent water conservation crises have illustrated the need for increasingly efficient water usage technologies.
This is post 24 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015