Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles
August 7, 2015
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. The Toronto Star covers the ribbon cutting of the new Billy Bishop pedestrian tunnel, the long-awaited underground connection from mainland Toronto to the island airport.
2. Wired Magazine reports on a contested paper published in the journal Nature Climate Change which suggests that current ASHRAE standards are calculated using the standard metabolic rates of men only.
3. Architectural Record describes the challenges of revitalizing the Bruce C. Bolling building, an undertaking that preserved history while reinvigorating a neighborhood square.
4. Architect Magazine profiles a new public market under development in Portland (named after local native James Beard) that will create a pedestrian-friendly civic hub replete with hydroponic gardens, native plantings, and a green roof.
5. Building Design + Construction Magazine examines the relationship between noise and patient wellness in American hospitals, with opinions from industry experts on noise control, current technology, and opportunities for improvement (page 34).
This is post 7 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015