Campus culture and cinematic architecture
November 6, 2015
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. ArchDaily profiles the Lycée Français de Chicago, the new academic campus designed to inspire students and celebrate the school’s diverse community.
2. The Guardian likens North Korea’s current architectural design, initially introduced by Kim Il-sung, to that of a Wes Anderson film — bright colors, synthetic materials, and a set-like quality.
3. The Los Angeles Times spoke to Arup’s Elizabeth Valmont and Matt Wilkinson on the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and why the USC football venue is so quiet, despite the zealous fans.
4. Icon Magazine laments the loss of the sub-genre of architecture known as “Bond Villain’s Lair,” typified by villas cantilevered over hillsides and ultra-modern houses perched on pillars.
5. Stadia Magazine lauds MassMotion as the most advanced pedestrian simulation tool available, able to predict stadium entry and exit flow, evacuation scenarios, and how crowds will move through retail and refreshment concourses.
This is post 13 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015