Museum marvels and bike-lane battles
March 18, 2016
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. Condé Nast Traveler offers its top picks for the most beautiful museums in the world, with a photo gallery of buildings from Lhasa, Tibet to Mexico City, Mexico.
2. In New York Magazine, former New York City Department of Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan discusses the bad politics of bikes and the extreme controversy generated by slabs of cement.
3. The Atlantic examines potential noise pollution combatants, including electric vehicles, leaf-blower bans, targeted sirens, quieter airplanes, and active noise control devices.
4. The Washington Post pays homage to Gillis Lundgren, Ikea’s fourth-ever employee, who designed hundreds of products, created the company logo, and institutionalized the flat-pack model that transformed the furniture industry.
5. Engineering News-Record names the UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay one of the “Best of the Best” in healthcare. The facility aims to use 50% less power that the average US hospital.
This is post 22 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015