Timber trends and airport gems
December 18, 2015
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. The Real Deal questions whether timber mid-rise and high-rise buildings can overcome their tinderbox associations to catch on in the United States.
2. The New York Times interviewed Carolyn J. Russo on her new book, “Art of the Airport Tower,” which treats aviation control towers not as flyovers, but cultural harbingers.
3. The Architect’s Newspaper features Samsung’s new North American headquarters in San Jose, highlighting the façade system that encourages social interaction, communicates Samsung’s brand, and manages solar conditions.
4. Fast Company profiles Rotterdam’s new city hall, the modular mixed-use structure designed to not only weather but respond and adapt to the test of time.
5. Architectural Lighting Magazine spoke to software developers and lighting designers on the potential for improved integration and interoperability.
This is post 16 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015