Victoria and Albert and Ove
July 1, 2016
This Friday we’re highlighting Engineering the World: Ove Arup and the Philosophy of Total Design, a retrospective open now at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
1. Metropolis Magazine describes Arup’s founder as “one of the 20th century’s preeminent personalities at the intersection of architecture and engineering.”
2. Interior Design describes the works presented in the exhibition, which range from design drawings to prototypes and building parts.
3. Fast Company illuminates Ove’s instrumental role in bringing engineers out of the shadows of the buildings they helped create.
4. The Evening Standard profiles the poet, doodler, and office joker who helped pull engineering out of the Victorian age.
5. Dezeen contends that the new exhibit will allow spectators to see iconic buildings like the Sydney Opera House and the Centre Pompidou with fresh eyes.
Want to learn more about Ove’s total design philosophy? Download Arup’s Design Book here.
This is post 28 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015