Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned
January 22, 2016
This Friday we’re highlighting compelling work in the built environment, from Arup and beyond.
1. Wired profiles NASA’s Orbit Pavilion, the seashell-shaped structure that allows visitors to experience the spacecraft in our atmosphere through surround-sound.
2. Fast Company features an increasingly popular art installation in Queens where artist Michael Neff re-appropriates discarded Christmas trees to create a floating forest.
3. Architectural Digest highlights the innovative “forest to frame” design of a 12-story timber high-rise project in Portland, Oregon — the first of its kind in the United States.
4. ArchDaily offers a photo gallery of Alejandro Aravena’s work in celebration of his 2016 Pritzker Prize win.
5. Engineering News-Record details the construction process of the Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement Project as it begins to take shape in the Port of Long Beach.
This is post 18 of 34 in the Friday Five series
- Subway line comfort and lunar colonies / Jan 27, 2017
- San Francisco and the skyline / Nov 4, 2016
- Awe-inspiring spaces and awesome rides / Sep 30, 2016
- Killer concerts and claustrophobic quarters / Sep 2, 2016
- Outer space and idle space / Aug 12, 2016
- Bikeable reality and natural creativity / Jul 15, 2016
- Victoria and Albert and Ove / Jul 1, 2016
- Poetry and practicality / Jun 17, 2016
- Audrey Hepburn and making an entrance / May 20, 2016
- Additive manufacturing and modern architecture / May 6, 2016
- Creative and crooked / Apr 22, 2016
- Smart cities and animated architecture / Apr 8, 2016
- Museum marvels and bike-lane battles / Mar 18, 2016
- Timber and paper / Mar 4, 2016
- Build and destroy / Feb 19, 2016
- Canoes and the cold / Feb 5, 2016
- Wrap-around sound and art from the abandoned / Jan 22, 2016
- Wilderness and concrete / Jan 8, 2016
- Timber trends and airport gems / Dec 18, 2015
- Color and shadow / Dec 4, 2015
- Subways and Sci-Fi / Nov 20, 2015
- Campus culture and cinematic architecture / Nov 6, 2015
- Glare bombs and razzle-dazzle / Oct 23, 2015
- City lights and Philly sights / Oct 9, 2015
- Galleries and glory / Sep 25, 2015
- Sustainable data centers and Cincinnati starchitecture / Sep 11, 2015
- Acoustic plans and Burning Man / Aug 21, 2015
- Billy Bishop travels and thermostat battles / Aug 7, 2015
- Net zero energy and sandcastle recipes / Jul 24, 2015
- Terminal moneymakers and timber skyscrapers / Jul 10, 2015
- Daylight and daily commutes / Jun 26, 2015
- Spider webs and fiber nets / May 15, 2015
- Museums and mushroom mazes / Apr 10, 2015
- Hazardous exhaust and construction booms / Feb 27, 2015